Thursday, March 20, 2008

NOW, it's your Idol Top 10! A difference of opinion

THIS is

Last nite's show was pretty interesting. I found it entertaining and sang along with most of the songs. It helps me see if they are throwing their own spin on the song, or if they are singing it like the original or forgetting the words or what. So, here we go.

Amanda chose Back In The USSR. She rocked the fast paced Beatles tune and I thought she did okay with it, even though she flubbed a word or two.


Kristy Lee, Kristy Lee. Her verson of You've Got To Hide Your Love Away was good. I liked it and it was much better than last week!


David Archuleta did The Long And Winding Road. Now, not only am I partial to David, but this is one of my favorite Beatles tunes and he did a great version and didn't forget any lyrics this week! I just think this kid's amazing.

Michael Johns did a great job with A Day In The Life. I just think this guy can sing anything.


Little Miss Sunshine, Brooke chose to sing, what else, Here Comes The Sun. I thought she did a really good job with it, but she looked a little uncomfortable without her piano. But, she covered that up pretty well. Loved that she chose to wear yellow!

Dave C. Man, he rocked Daytripper, another one of my favorite Beatles songs. I think he should have forgone the voice box, though. I don't know why the judges didn't like his version of this song when he did with it exactly (except for the voice box) what he did last week with Eleanor Rigby. The voice box thing reminds me of Peter Frampton in the Geico commercial. I don't like it in the commercial, I didn't like it on the Frampton Comes Alive! album, and I didn't like it last night.

Carly decided to do Blackbird as a "tribute" to how hard all of the contestants have been working and to how those that are already in the music biz, have been rejected but pick themselves back up and keep going. I am not familiar with this song, but I thought she sounded great.


Jason's version of Michelle, My Belle, was dead on. I remember being in elementary school (kindergarten, actually) and we would sing this song on the bus cause there was a little blonde, blue eyed girl named Michelle.

Syesha sang Yesterday, another favorite of mine. I thought her version was good, and when she was coming up on a part where I thought she should belt it out, she did! Good job.

Chikezie did another song I didn't know, I've Just Seen a Face. All in all it was a good performance. He is developing his style and having fun. Should have forgotten about the harmonica, though. Just because they allow instruments this year, don't pick one up the day before you sing and decide you want to play something too!

And finally, Ramiele. She is just the cutest, sweetest little thing. Her rendition of Should've Known Better was dead on, too. Like Syesha, just when I thought she should let that big voice of hers out, she did! I thought it was a strong performance.

So, the first to go to the bottom 3, is Carly. I was shocked.
Next is Kristy Lee, not a shocker, but not deserving this week.
Finally, is Amanda. BIG shocker. I was surprised when it wasn't Chikezie, who was brought out with her. I thought maybe Syesha and or/or Ramiele would be in the bottom 3! Amanda has one bad week, and not only is she in the bottom 3, she's the one who goes home! I don't think it's the last you'll hear of her.
______________________________________
So, after checking out my nephew's blog, http://www.justpoppedinmyhead.blogspot.com/, I can see we definitely have different opinions on the takes of the songs and performances. Being a child of the early '60's (very early~I was born in '60) and my nephew a child of really the '70's (since he was born in '69), he probably didn't have the exposure to the Beatles growing up like I did. His mom (my sister) took me to the drive-in to see A Hard Day's Night and Help!, which were 2 movies that sort of documented the Beatles' lives since making it big here in the states. And I always wanted to hang out with my big sister and her friends, and what do teenage girls do when they hang out? Listen to the radio or records (yes they had records back then~45's and LP's) and dance in their bedrooms! (yes, my sister was a teenager until I was a little over 7 years old. Then she had the nerve to turn 20, get married and starting having kids. Ya know, that nephew I mentioned above? I was very upset that she was getting married and leaving me!) Anyway, My mother always said I could do the Twist before I could walk! So, I grew up with most of these songs. And to my delight at the time, my Senior High chorus, under the direction of Mr. Tom Hawkins, did a show of Beatles songs! To this day when I sing along with the songs we did in that show, I still sing my part as I did back then as a 2nd soprano.

My nephew is a fan of Michael Jackson's music. Not the Jackson 5 stuff necessarily, but the stuff he did when he went solo-Billie Jean, Bad, Thriller. Because that's what he grew up with.

I guess it's all just a matter of taste. Or opinion.

And only the Top 10 are touring this year. Wasn't it the Top 12 last year?

1 comment:

--David said...

The top 10 have always been the touring group. I don't know why they make a big deal about the "top 12" on the show because really, it is the top 10 that really matter...

It's weird, but all I keep hearing is how great this group is compared to other years, but I think the talent was MUCH better last year... Ah well...