Thursday, March 22, 2007

Whaaat?

Okay, if you have been reading my blog since I started posting, you may recall that my very first soapbox issue was about people that call off of work.
So. We have a temp that left early on Tuesday saying he had intestinal distress to put it nicely. Then, on Wednesday didn't show up for work, but had called the lunch room phone and called off to one of the Parker people. Okay, they are supposed to call the temp agency to call off, not us. Secondly, call offs are never ever supposed to be made to someone on the lunchroom phone, which by the way, is a pay phone.
THEN, the owner of the temp agency calls me mid morning and wants to make sure the the foreman knew this person was not going to be at work today because he was going to be moving and had to be at the new place so the light company could enstate his service.My words, not theirs.(this person probably said "I have to be at my new crib so that my lights can be cut on") Ghetto-ese, I guess. It turned out that the person did not tell the foreman in advance about being absent on Wednesday. In addition, MY boss said that if this person called off one more time, they would be let go. So, I called the temp agency back and told them this info. Apparently she told this to the temp because........
She called today and said that this person was quitting because Parker Plastics had "attendance issues". What does that mean? Attendance issues? Yeah, you need to ATTEND work so that parts are produced, those parts shipped out, customers get billed for those parts, then the invoices get paid, and then you get your paycheck. That's how the real world works where I come from! I can't figure people out today. They call off more than they come to work, yet, somehow, it's the employer that's wrong??!! How is that? If you don't go to work, you get fired! Period end. The work week is 5 days a week, 37.5 hours a week (they don't get paid for lunches) 51 weeks a year! ( we shut down at Christmas) If they have vacation time, it would be less than 51 weeks, I suppose.I am all for the 10 hour a day 4 day work week with 3 day weekends. But, that's just not a reality for me, and I can't call off. I have bills to pay, food to buy, gas to buy (which is becoming harder and harder to do again)and bowling and racing to pay for. I like to be able to buy things for Jordan and my family.If I call off, it's a big hit in my paycheck, because of what I make hourly. I wanted to call off today. I really did and I NEVER call off. But I felt sick all night long, and had a really hard time getting out of bed this morning. But I did it. Ya know, I get 7 paid holidays and 3 weeks vacation a year. My job isn't a difficult one. The hardest part now that I have a computer, it answering the phone and it's my boss' mom. She's a lonely (by choice) old lady with nothing better to do than to call the office 18 times a day (slight exaggeration there) Sometimes it's hectic, but most of the time, I get my orders done, the cash disbursed, the cash received, and the invoicing done, then I sit and play free cell, or find things to do on my cell phone, or work on my own bills or something. I really just have to be there to answer the phones and field the calls. Alot of times, the office bunch sits around bs-ing. All in all, it takes me about 4 hours a day (sometimes less) to do my actual work. So call off? No way. People that do, just make me go EEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!Attendance issues. Hmmmmmmmmm.These people need to come back to planet Earth as Judge Marilyn Milian on People's Court tells the stupid people! Love that woman!!!

No comments: