Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Yard Work, Small Party, Race Day, Memorial Day

Friday after work, I stopped by Option Supply and got a yard of red mulch so that we could put the finishing touch on our yard and it would like nice for the Holiday weekend. Now, as most yards do, our yard blends into the neighbor's yard. Not only that, but her house is the same color scheme as ours, White siding with black shutters. So, she was out as well, planting the things she had bought and putting her fountain out and some Landscape lights and such. So she walks over to Dean, me and our other neighbor Jim, who, unfortunately for Dean and me, is moving in the near future. I digress. So, Mary Ellen comes to us and asks if any of us are NOT afraid of snakes. I said I wasn't. Both Jim and Dean apparently are afraid of snakes. City boys......There was one under the shutter that had blown off in the wind storm and could I get. Sure. No problem. Most of the snakes around here are Garter snakes, which it turns out, this was one. I move the shutter and the snake starts to slither toward the skirting on her house, so I reach down and grab it! I wiggles all over the place, pees, and I drop it! I put my foot gently on his mid section, reach down and grab it again, but not as close to the back of its head as I would have liked. Apparently, this pissed him off, because he promptly turned around and clamped down on my findex finger between the knuckle and the first joint up. A Nice fleshy part for him to get hold of! It didn't hurt since they really don't have "Teeth" so to speak. Well, I pull him off my finger, carry him to the hillside and toss him. I then look at my finger and it has started to bleed a bit. I show Dean and Jim and they are convinced that we have to go to the hospital! I laughed. Dean says, I know we're going to have to go to the hospital. I know it. It's only a garter snake for crying out loud. Kids every where catch garter snakes and put them in a jar! So, I went inside washed my hands, went on the internet to show Dean that there will be no ill effects from my snake bite and I am still fine at this posting. No swelling or anything. Goofy men..........

Saturday, we went to our usual spot for breakfast, then to the nursery to look at trees. I want to put 2 trees on the upper side of the house to try and shade the house from the brutal sun we get from 11:00 to sunset everyday. And it was cleaning day since we finished the outside of the house on Friday. Cleaning. Uneventful. We had friends over Saturday night. Tom and Lisa and Jeff and Jessica. We cooked out, ate, drank and watched the Busch Race and shot the bull. We had a really good time. At one point, Lisa and I laughed so hard, we cried. That was good. I needed that.

Sunday, I woke up hungry. So, it was off to Bob Evans for a wonderful breakfast, then the cemetary to put the flags on our Dads' graves. While at the light waiting to turn in to go to Bob's, our neighbors Jim and Shar(on) pull up beside us. They are headed to Home Depot to get supplies to work on the house they just bought. So, we tell them we will stop at the new house when we get done at the cemetary. (They are the ones I referred to earlier that are moving). They are wonderful neighbors. Willing to help when you need it. Always there for you. We can always count on them. When Dean and I go away just for an overnite, the come and feed and let out dogs. I really hate to see them leave, even though they are just moving a few minutes away. It's not like having them right across the street.

Monday was Memorial day. The day we remember the lives that have been sacrificed so that we may enjoy the freedoms and pleasures we experience in everyday life. I can't imagine living somewhere that I couldn't just get in my car and go and do what I pleased when I pleased. That is just beyond me. So, we were going to make Monday our do nothing day. But, there was laundry piled up that needed done, so we were going to knock that out. Dean had invited Sara and Jordan to come over, but she had thought she would have to work. Turns out, she didn't. So they came for dinner. I was getting the house red up (yes, a Pittsburgh phrase) and made the bed. When I did, I pulled the pillow and it hit the nightstand, knocking my glasses to the floor. I bent over to pick them up and Wham! my back goes out. I get myself to the couch and sit down with my back against a pillow and my feet up. Dean comes out and knows by the look on my face something's amiss. I tell him what happened. He makes me a cup of Tea and I take some Motrin. In about an hour, I feel I can be mobile again and take my cup to the sink and throw my tea bag away. And Wham! my back goe s out even worse than the first time! He comes to my rescue, but doesn't know exactly what to do for me. So, he puts his arms under my armpits and tries to carry me to bed. I get on the bed (no, this isn't going there) and just try to get comfortable. The excruciating pain finally subsides enough that I can arrange all the pillows to lean against and watch tv. After an hour and a half, I get up and seperate the clothes and start the laundry. All is fine, or at least good enough for me to be functional. Sara and Jordan came over and she did the dinner dishes, which I was grateful for. They went home shortly after dinner, and I got some more laundry done. Today at work, I was holding Tara's foster daughter, she's 6 mos. old, and out goes the back again. It still isn't good. I go to the chiropractor tomorrow after work. It hurts to do anything but sit right now. But, I am going to try and go to bed. I did watch the Boston Legal season Finale. It was great! Well, I'll post about that tomorrow, in case Dave had to Tivo it................

No comments: