Tuesday, May 15, 2007

can't delete emails or a cell phone number

I know my sister kept every single email that my brother in law sent her. I know I have received alot of them from him while he was in Iraq as well. Some of the pictures he emailed are of beautiful things in that area of the world. Some are really scary things. And others are funny things. I just can't bring myself to delete them. My sister sent me an email this morning (4:30 in the freakin' morning her time! What in the world was she doing up at that ungodly hour?) saying that she wishes she could talk to him, kiss him, and hold him one more time. But we wish that of all our loved ones that pass away. There's never enough time that you can spend with someone you care about. time is precious and life is so short. Jerry's was extremely short. I must say, though, that they she was married almost twice as long as she was single. She married him at age 20. That was in 1968. I was 7. My brother was 18. But it doesn't matter. It wasn't long enough. It's never long enough. That is why we hang on to momentos. The memories we have of that person. So, I am hanging on to all the emails, funny, beautiful, or horrid, that Jerry sent us. I just can't delete them. I will eventually save them to my desktop at some point...........Then there's his cell phone. I put his cell phone number and his work number in my cell phone when we were working on the big Christmas surprise of '05! Jer was working at TA then. See, I had gotten this great idea to fly down and surprise my sister for Christmas. Originally, we were going to drive down, but with the price of gas on the rise then, I did some cypherin' and figured it would only be a few more dollars to fly, but that would give us to more days to visit with my sister. So, I coordinated everything with Jerry. Calling his cell phone, calling him at work to let him know what was happening with our plans. And of course, he was more than happy to pick Dean and me up at the Little Rock airport! So, those numbers have been in my cell phone all this time. I deleted the number to TA when he left for Iraq. I can't bring myself to delete his cell number. I accidently called it when I was on my way down for the funeral. I got voicemail. I was shocked when I heard that ever familiar voice say "Leave a message! We'll catch up to ya as soon as possible! Thank you!" Now I call it just to hear that voice. Cheery, upbeat with that little hint of southern accent that was ALWAYS Jerry. I don't know what I'll do when Dar decides to shut his service off...........

1 comment:

--David said...

Well, Mom says she is going to keep his voicemail message. She is going to have them change his number to hers, and she will get his phone and keep his voicemail as hers, so she can listen to it...

I am going to record it, so we'll have it on the computer. when i do, i'll send you a copy.