Sunday, November 9, 2008

Yes, Dave. It's on.

My nephew (seen here) posted to his blog that he cannot post comments to my blog. But, when I sign in, it tells me I have comments that need moderated and I post them. Now, I do not get the emails like I used to that tell me I have comments to my blog. I guess I should neb around this website and see if it will let me change my email address for signing in, then all would be well and Dave wouldn't be all wigged out about it. So, yes Dave. This thing is on. I am getting your comments, and am posting them. So it's okay. I hear you. er, read you.

So, here's something weird that I didn't know: (According to Dave) A bi racial child, when enrolled in school, is enrolled as a white child if that child's mother is white. It doesn't matter that the child's father is black? My mother once said to me that the only way there wouldn't be racism in this country is if everyone was mulatto. (bi racial black/white) I've always thought that that thought had merit. Now, this mother being white therefore making the child white way of thinking. Is that only down South? I will have to ask a teacher about that in our schools. I am thinking it is a southern thing and stems back from the days of slavery when the white masters were procreating with the black female slaves. Since they didn't want to be known as fathering these children, just owning them as more slaves, then they would have had to been considered black because the mother was black. So, I think that now the times have changed, but that law or rule hasn't. So, the rule needs changed. They are not white. They are not black. They are BOTH. So put a category of Bi Racial in the race column.

How did it get to be know as "race" anyway? Black/Caucasian/Asian/Hispanic/Indian/Native American. Why are they races? Who's winning the race? Caucasian is the politically correct term for White. African-American is the politically correct term for blacks. So, is a black person in England an African-English? Are there African-Germans? Native American used to be called Indians. You played cowboys and Indians as a kid, didn't you? War paints, feathers, tomahawks, drums, tee pees. But they weren't from India. No curry smelling, red dotted forehead, blusher and turban wearing Indians! They were the people that were here on this land when the Pilgrims landed here. So, they were Americans. Since America is the melting pot of the world, we then had to call the Indians native Americans, because now we are all Americans! Native means you were born here in this land. Are the natives restless. I think they should be and were. My great grandparents were right of the boat from England. They referred to my grandparents as 1 st generation off the boat, meaning they were born here, but their parents came here from another land. So, technically, I am 4th generation off the boat. I was born here, but I am not a native American. This is so confusing. I can't keep it straight. Can you?

1 comment:

Shan said...

We use to have a box that read Mixed when you enrolled your child in school. The state changed that because it was degrading. So the schools had to decide a way to label a child (because they follow every group of children in testing...race, gender, economic status, special ed. or not, etc.). So they went with what race your mother is. I am sure all schools don't follow that. It is usually up to the state.