Monday, May 5, 2008

For Whom the Belle Tolls; Pittsburgh hero (for now); My Dancing favorites this week

The Kentucky Derby. One of the jewels in the Triple Crown. The other two are the Preakness and the Belmont Steaks, the Derby being the middle race between the other 2. But as some celebrated, others were very saddened. Much like when Michael Waltrip won the 2001 Daytona 500, and yet Dale Earnhardt was killed in a crash at the finish of that race...........
Eight Belles. Beautiful animal. Ran a hell of a race. When they were on parade going to the gate, I picked my horse. It was her. I thought it was a great name. She came in 2nd to Big Brown. Now, that's a dumb name for a horse. Not much thought or creativity there. Eight Belles was a name that could be remembered, or stand out in the Kentucky Derby, with the likes of Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Unbridled, Charismatic, and Barbaro. But no, it's Big Brown. Unfortunately, Eight Belles will probably be remembered more than Big Brown, even though she didn't win. The poor thing had to be put down after the race, as she collapsed during her cool down lap after the race was over. The question is whether her ankles of both front legs were broken before the finish of the race, or did happen when the jockey got her to pull up after crossing the wire. I think it happened after the race was over. She showed no signs during the race that I saw of coming up lame before hand. It is really a shame to lose such a beautiful animal........
____________________________________________

The hero of many a Pens fan, Marion Hossa, shot the winning goal in yesterday's overtime playoff game against the NY Rangers! What a game! Not a sweep for this series, but 4 outta 5 ain't bad. On to the Flyers.........
_____________________________________________
This is Dancing With The Stars..................5 left. Who will go home tomorrow nite?
Kristi and Mark did the Quick Step and the Samba this week. Their Quick step was great. Samba? EH.

Mario and Karina. 1 st dance was a Viennese Waltz. Beautiful. 2nd was the Jive. It was really fun to watch, good job, but the lift looked slightly awkward.

Marissa and Tony did the Fox Trot to New York, New York. It was great! The did a Mambo (not #5) that was very cool. They got 5 phone votes and 2 online votes from me.

Jason and Edyta did a very passionate Tango that would leave anybody hot. Then did a Samba that just did nothing for me.

Cristian and Cheryl did a Tango to Beat it, which worked really well, believe it or not! He had torn and ruptured a tendon in his left arm last week, so they did 2 dances that hid or disguised the injury very well. I don't remember now what their second dance was, but it was really good as well. 5 phone votes and 2 online votes from me.

I gave my 5th on line vote to Mario and Karina. Jason and Kristi have been topping the leaderboard throughout, but I think thats about to change. We will see..............

2 comments:

--David said...

Yeah, I figure the animal rights people will have a field day with having to put the horse down and how cruel racing is and blah blah blah... I hate she had to be put down, but I know that when there is nothing else you can do, it is far better to put the horse down than have her suffer.

--David said...

Oh, I forgot! The hockey game was AWESOME!!!!