Tuesday, August 14, 2007

WAKE UP, PEOPLE!!; Gone swimmin' ; Cruise Control; Turn Signal

Have you seen the commercial for Pepsi that has more caffeine and ginseng added to it? Everyone is yawning and yawning and yawning till they show the guy that's drank the Pepsi. Yawning is contagious. Whether the yawn is nin person or not, it's catchy. I yawn every time I see that commercial. And the announcer that yells "WAKE UP, PEOPLE!" is he trying to sound like Ty from Extreme Home Makeover? I have to seave the room when that commercial comes on.

We went and got Sara and Jordan and took them to Dean's Aunt Donna's for a cookout and swimming. Jordan loved it! He was shivering after about 2 hours in the pool and still didn't want to get out! Here's Jordan and Dean in the pool.....


Jordan likes this turtle floaty thing....

And squirting himself with the water gun while sittin on his mom's lap. Jordan will be having a brother or sister next year.


Then it was time to get our of the pool and get some grub. We had corn on the cob, linguini salad, coleslaw, burgers, dogs, chicken and potatoe salad. Yum! Jordan really likes Pap's linguini salad! He ate a whole plate full.

Close up of Jordan in the turtle floaty thing...


After a second dip in the pool, it was time to get our clothes on and get ready to leave.

Sittin on the couch with Pap pap and Cousin Jimmy after gettin' dressed to go home.

Man, we had a good time!!

But on the ride to pick Sara and Jordan up and bring them to Aunt Donna's, we travel on 837, aka Baldwin rd./East Carson street. Now the stretch between Beck's Run and the Glenwood bridge is a good 2-3 miles long with nothing on either side except railroad tracks on the upper side and railroad tracks, the bikeway and the river on the lower side. No Side streets or hiding places for cops. The posted speed limit is 40, but you can clip along there at 50 or so, if ono one's in your way. Dean sets the cruise control for this stretch. But sets it at 40 MPH!! I don't understand this. It seemed like he was going sooooooooo slow. This is the man that drive like a maniac out the parkway to get to the racetrack on Saturdays. It's 55, but he goes 70 or faster. Anyway, I ask him about the 40 mph cruising speed and he tells me "that's the speed limit". What? Are you kiddin' me? Drive like you want to get there! Now, my nephew has posted on his blog that when he drives his mom or his coworker John, that they comment on his over the speed limit driving. I do it too. If I feel safe enough and the road conditions are good, I will push it to about 7 - 15 mph over the posted limit. I know on my way to work in the morning, Lebanon Church Road is 45, then 40 then 35 MPH. What do I go? 55-60, 50-55, 40-45. I know that there are more often than not cops in the 35 zone, so I take it a bit easy there. Unless it's the end of the month where the cops are trying to make their ticket quota, I feel it's safe from getting a ticket to go 7 - 9 mph over the posted limit. And I neve really say anything about how fast Dean drives to the racetrack unless he's scarring me. (he tends to try to intimidate people out from in front of him, which really scares me.) I am all for doing at least 10 mph over the speed limit if you are in the fast lane. But, you better be going as fast as me (and Dean) or move the hell over!

I do use my turn signal for lane changes. I use my signal to let other drivers know I am going to turn soon and may have to slow down to do it. I use my turn signal to let other drivers know I am now going into the turning lane. I DO NOT leave my signal blinking once I am in the turn lane. I am in the turn lane. I am going to turn. I already let you know I was going into the turn lane to eventually make a turn. I don't have to do it again, unless you are that stupid!

1 comment:

--David said...

Amen to your "speeding" comments! :-) I am wishy-washy about the turn signal in the turn-only lane. Sometimes I use it, and sometimes not. Like you, I figure if I am in a TURN ONLY lane, then why should I signal? It is TURN ONLY people! Ah well...

Looks like y'all had lots of fun!! :-)