Sunday, December 9, 2007

Saturday morning ritual, Chores; Racers for Tots Party; Cell phone Ringtones

Yesterday, Dean and I did our usual breakfast gig. Then we stopped at the dollar store to Dink around a bit and see if they had some cheap Christmas cards for him to give to co workers. They did. And I picked up a couple of picture frames for some gifts I want to give. Then, it was off to Walmart to get the toy for the party. It's the ticket price at the door for the Racers for Tots Party. That or $10 p/p. More on that later. So, we decided (Dean decided) we were getting a bike again this year. Cool. Found a pretty cool one for $35. That's do-able. Then he grabbed a bag of Swedish Fish and we got Christmas cards for us to actually mail to family and friends.



Checked out, and backed home before 11 a.m.!! Excellent. We watched his gold mining show (Gold Fever) and then he was off to put up the outside lights and I worked on the Christmas Village Display. Got ready for the Party and was out the door at 3:05. Traffic was incredible! All these people on the road. You'd think Christmas was in 2 weeks or something! LOL. Anyway, On the way to the party, my phone starts singing Redneck Woman. It's Lisa. She and Tom were at the party and were saving our seats. She wanted to let me know they just got there and that not too many other people had arrived yet. The party started at 4 p.m. and it was only 20 till. Okay, we'll be there soon, we're in Bethel. (the Party was at South Fayette Firehall in Cuddy-which is just outside of Bridgeville) Phone sings Redneck Woman again. Lisa voice says" Bad News" (what?) "Staggy just told us the Gunslingers aren't coming cause Dave and Scott are sick" (Why would he tell you that?) "Cause Tom wore his Gunlsinger shirt" (Well, that's why. He's just yankin' your chain cause he wore a Gunslinger shirt to a Christmas Racing party) "Yeah, probably. See you in a few" (yepSo, Dean and I get to the party and needless to say, Lisa was right. Not too many party goers have arrived yet. We find them and try to settle in our seats. We do our gift exchange (it is Tom's birthday and mine is Monday) And I had gotten Lisa a racing shirt just between us girls. Tom got Big Ben's BBQ Sauce in a gift pack of a bottle of Mild and a bottle of Hot.They Gave me a multi layered multi scented jar candle and a Jeff Gordon ornament. Tom and Lisa (her middle name IS Marie)


My boss had given me a $100 check from our company for the cause. So, Dean and I set off to find Staggy (Jimmy Stiegerwald who is the founder of Racers For Tots) to present him the check. As we got back up from the table, I noticed that the DJ was set up on the riser that Randy usually set the drums up on. That's weird. Lisa said maybe he would move when the guys come in to set up. No, can't see him doing that. Maybe the guys AREN'T coming......We go find Staggy.Dean asked him about the Gunslingers and he confirmed what Lisa had said on the phone. Scott and Dave were both sick and were hoping it would pass, or they would feel well enough to play at the party, but by 1:30 when they called Staggy, they didn't feel any better. By this time,The buffet was ready and we all got some great food to eat.

More and more people came and the hall and the toy room was getting full! This is our table.

This looking up toward the bar. (which is under the icicle lights)

This is the pile of toys and there were even more before the night was over!!

!

And rows and rows of bikes


Some one even brought a carton of red saucer sleds. A whole carton! That's like 10 or 12 of those suckers! I do have to say, the racers don't buy junkie toys.

But no one was dancing.


The DJ was playing good music, oldies, but good. Needless to say, our group was really bummed about the Gunslingers not being able to play. I decided I was going to make the best of it. Some things you can't control and people getting sick is one of them. So, I'm boppin' around in my chair to the music. NO ONE is on the dance floor. We sit and talk and wish people that stop at our table Merry Christmas and talk to lots of people, but it's just not the RFT party without the band and the girls. So, we come up with the grand idea of getting my CD's out of the truck and asking the DJ if he will play a few of the tunes off of them. He said he could do that so I give him the 12 bands of Christmas CD that Froggy Radio, Kings Restaurant, and 12 local country singers/bands have put out to raise money for charity and my Gunslingers CD. If they can't be here, might as well get there songs played. So, he plays the Gunlsingers "Santa's Got a Semi" off of the 12 Bands Cd! Lisa and I hit the dance floor and sing the song word for word while we dance! A few more people start to dance, too. That's what we needed. A Gunslinger song to break the ice! It was a very appropriate song because it alludes to there being too many good little girls and boys,the sleigh won't hold all those toys, so he has to get some tractor trailers to make this year's deliveries. I post the lyrics at the bottom of this post Here's Lisa, Brenda and Christie dancing'.



Then of course, Staggy has to sing. Karaoke style, but none the less...... He is wearing a Elvis mask complete with the TCB famous sunglasses....... He doesn't really have helmet hair.



The Marines show up to load up those toys in them big ol' trucks ........One of the guys (a racer I don't know) sang Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA while these guys stood at attention on the dance floor.



Traditionally, Scott, the lead singer of the Gunslingers sings it, acapella, I might add and is fantastic. So, it was sung Karaoke style as well.

Two of the Marines in the toy room.



Then, I guess in the DJ's infinite wisdom, he decides we were a dance crowd and started playing "dance' music. Cha Cha slide, Doin' the Butt, Funky Cold Madina, other songs I didn't know, but others did and were dancing. I am not into hip hop at all. So, I'll sit those out, thank you. The pounding bass of those songs was getting to Dean and giving him a headache. So he started making "I wanna go" noises. I put him off for a bit, then we left. We were so looking forward to Gunslingers playing and hearing "good" music. Hip Hop ain't it for us.
On the way home, Dean spots this house...................Talk about Griswald-ie!!!!



If you look closely at the roof, the man is still up there doing these lights..........Santa will definitely be able to see this house

So, I mentioned that my cell phone pays Redneck Woman when Lisa calls me. It also plays a Gunslinger tune when Dean calls me, Reba's My Sister when Dar calls me, and He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother when Bill calls me. It plays Santa Baby when it's an unknown caller (just for the holidays) some people it plays All My Friends Say, and others it plays Find Out Who Your Friends Are. Dean says I have too much time on my hands..............So, here's the Lyrics. It is a very fast, country rock song.

Santa's Got a Semi

Santa called a meetin’ of the North Pole Elves. Said listen here, this year, we need a little help. There’s been so many good little girls and boys, the sleigh won’t hold all those toys. So heat up your hot chocolate Thermos mugs, there’s a Christmas toy convoy revvin’ up.

(Chorus)
Santa’s got a Semi flyin’ down the road. Southbound, North Pole overload. Got a wreath on the grill; Star on the hood. He’s checkin’ off his list, so you better be good. He’s got a speaker on the top playin’ Jingle Bells, red snow flaps underneath 2 wheels. Tell me, have you ever seen steel and chrome fly? Beep, beep and bye-bye. Santa’s got a semi.

Santa called up the state patrol; said if you see ‘em comin’ boys, let ‘em go. We got a long night ahead and a big job to do. They said 10-4, Santa, you can roll on through. But be real careful. Don’t forget to buckle up. There’s a whole lotta love in them big ol’ trucks.

Repeat Chorus

So, if you see a big truck with a star on the hood, better think twice, yeah, you better be good.

Repeat Chorus

HO HO HO

Beep, beep and bye-bye. Santa’s got a semi. Beep, beep and bye-bye. Santa’s got a semi.

1 comment:

--David said...

Dawg! That is a LOT of toys and bikes! That is pretty cool! Sorry about the band, though. At least you had a good time!!