Thursday, July 12, 2007

a weird tax, to the horse pistol again, reponsibility

In my elustrious state, The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, there are no taxes on the necessities of life which would encompass food, clothing and shelter. The thing is that is Sales Tax. However, as most of you know that read my ramblings, I live in a mobile home park in which I do not own the property on which my mobile home sets. I lease it. I pay a monthly rental fee to keep my home, which contains all my stuff, on a piece of land that measures approximately 45' wide and 100' long. For this monthly fee, we get no purks. We have to pay quarterly for our trash removal. We pay our own water and sewage. We cut our own grass. We have even invested in beautifying our little corner of the world that we don't own by doing some landscaping including planting flowers(annuals and perrenials), tomato plants, pepper plants, a planter (two tiered) on the end of the house and mulched. We are of the few around here who take in pride in the curb appeal of our home. Since we lease the property, we do not pay real estate or as more commonly known, property taxes. However, we do have to pay property taxes on the mobile home every year. I don't understand that. I paid $38,000 for this home in 1995. There was no sales tax on the home. They tried to charge me sales tax, but I pointed out that homes are not taxable in the state of PA. After some checking, they found I was right and we did not pay sales tax. But, I have to pay $60 a year property tax on the home itself to the county of Allegheny every year. Wouldn't you think that the county would follow suit from the state on this matter? The county doesn't charge me tax on food or clothing. Why my mobile home? I have a $32,000 pick up truck. I don't pay taxes on it. But I did pay sales tax on it. To both the state AND county. Now, my mobile home is registered just like my truck. With the DMV. Yeah. The DMV. It has a title just like a car or truck, not a deed. So, I ask you. How does that work?



My sister is in the hospital(I lovingly refer to it as the horse pistol) for the 2nd time since her surgery. No they think she was impacted. I feel so bad. I wish I could have 1/2 her pain. Not all. But I'd take half. I can't believe what she's going through so soon after loosing Jerry. I wish I could bring her up here so I could take care of her. I would go down there,(permanently) but then I'd have no job and no husband. I don't think I could convince him to move to Arkansas. Especially in the summer. WAY too hot for him! So, Dar, come to Pittsburgh for a month and I'll take care of ya!



Now, here's a work thing. I took a phone call from one of our material reps that was for Wynn, my big boss' son. When he came in the office, I gave him a message that she wanted him to call her about this new part we are trying to bid on because, it seems someone called her about the same part from somewhere else. Wednesday, I sit in my chair and he comes downstairs, doesn't say good morning or hi as per his usual, he just bellows my name. It startled me and I jumped and yelled WHAT?!!! He asked me what the rep wanted when she called on Monday. I told him again "for you to call her because blah blah blah" and repeated it. He said No, she called to tell me to check my email cause the information I wanted she had sent. So, apparently he never called her back and he thought she didn't send the info. Did he check his email to see if it was there? No. Did he call her back on Monday when I told him to? No. So, was it my fault that the info he needed he didn't know he had until Wednesday was my fault how? I guess by assuming he was reponsible enough to return a phone call and she would tell him in their conversation not only the part I told him, but also that she had emailed the info he wanted. Stupid me.

1 comment:

--David said...

Heya! Well, in Arkansas, not only do we pay the property tax on our doublewide that is not on our land, but we also have to pay property tax on our vehicles... Go figure...

As for the phone call/email thing... I am learning myself that you can never assume the people in charge actually know what to do, or even pay attention for that matter... I am running into similar situations at my work, where just because the Supt and the Director of a college program talk, it does NOT mean the people who actually have to make the videoconference WORK know anything about the schedule, participants, etc... What a nightmare... Glad to know it isn't only in my part of the world, though... :-)