Thursday, November 16, 2006

Reporting off from work

As some of you know, I work for an injection molder. Alot of our machine operators are temporary personnel, or temps as we lovingly (lol) refer to them. The problem is that alot of them are in the back to work program either from a crime they've committed and are out of jail and in a halfway house (no serious criminals. no rapists or murders or armed robbers). They all do great while in the halfway house when we get them, but alot of times, they go back to their old ways (which means hangin' with their homies some of them start the drug use again. Some of the girls get back with their boyfriends or pimps, and start calling off work. And it gets habitual! How do these people pay their bills? Rent, gas, electric and things? There are exactly 45 days left in this year, 28 of which are working days for me, taking off weekends, holidays and vacation time. That means I will have worked 240 working days this year without calling off!!! Not even once! Any time I took off was preplanned vacation with maybe the exception of the day my step grandson was born, which my employer knew was coming, but we weren't sure what day, so when she went into labor, I called my employer and said, I'll probably be taking a vacation day tomorrow unless she delivers really fast. Needless to say, THAT didn't happen. So January 5, 2006 was my first vacation day of the year of which I get 15. 5 of those vacation days are mandatorily taken at Christmas time when the factory shuts down for yearly inventory. Only management works then, and it's only 3 days and half days at that. Anyway, to get back on track, I cannot afford to take days off. I have a very nice life, whith many luxuries and ammenities, but I also have to pay for the lifestyle to which I have become acustommed. The people that call off work once a week, leave early once a week, come in late, not only do they usually not get fired, but they don't see anything wrong with it!!! I must have gotten my dad's work ethic...................

No comments: